Thursday, September 8, 2016

Finding God: Four Books and a Video

When I was five or eight and an adolescent; my favorite song was,
 Ngai wakwa nĩ mũnene
Ngai wakwa nĩ  mũnene
Ngai wakwa nĩ  mũnene
 munene nĩ  mũnene muno.
My God is big x3
My God is very big

I would hum it all the time, especially when I was sent to the fields to guard the maize against baboons…..have you ever had a good look at a baboon?
 I would climb up the tree and sing it over and over and hope God heard, the baboons heard, and people on the opposite ridge heard there was a child in the centre of a maize plantation, just incase…

 When the substitute Sunday school teacher asked us to draw God, I drew a girl with many stars on her head. There was a kid who didn’t draw anything, and the teacher said, he was right, no one can see God.
 How was I supposed to know it was a trick question? And Shaggy hadn’t yet wandered if God is a woman. I guess it had to do with me being surrounded by superwomen.
 The stars. If you live next to the Aberdare forest, looking up on a chilly night when the sky is starlit, feels like looking at God… I guess. But I think the kid who didn’t draw just forgot the homework.
Anyhow, I still think God is big, and reading these books has proved it right.
Is there a Creator who cares about you?
I decided to read this in 2013 and was surprised to find it talks about my favorite subjects; Space, Art and the uniqueness of Humans.
 It quotes famous professors who ponder over  hard questions like: “Why do people pursue art so passionately?” asked Professor Michael Leyton in Symmetry, Causality, Mind.
 Once I got started I couldn’t put it down. It was science and logic, facts and physics, stuff I usually need someone to explain to me… my mind was blown away. The language used is simplified.

Imitate their Faith.
 One time, someone I trusted turned around and did me an injustice. I could not understand the unfairness of the situation. I had to run to my big God and explain the situation to him. When I calmed down I remembered the story of Elijah running through a desert to find his God when he felt afraid.. so I read it and could handle anything. I like the story of Peter, Hannah and Abel too.
 
My Book of Bible stories.
 Hands up if you read this book in your childhood? Hands up if you have asked at a bookshop if they stock it? They don’t, and if they do they shouldn’t unless it’s free. Jehovah’s Witnesses give it to people at no charge.
If you didn’t read -My book of Bible Stories- in your childhood, you missed a big chunk of it. It used to be yellow. My neighbor had it and I loved to go there just so she could read it to me and let me look at the pictures.

Young People Ask Volume 1 and 2
So many times I find myself referring to these books again. These books remind me that God is very cool. He is not just about vocabularies and 610 laws. He comes down to my level to explain to me things like:


 The Wonders of Creation Reveal God’s Glory.
I wish this video was out when I was in high school wondering why chemistry was a compulsory subject. I might have spent time reading science books and less of Meja Mwangi. It talks about water, DNA, how the moon and gravity are related..ooohhh goose gumps. It makes me feel small, but not insignificant when I think that I am one of God’s wonderful creations.
And now I hum
 
Mbingu, za mbingu, hazimtoshi Yehova,
Hakuna awezaye kushindana naye…
The heaven’s themselves are too small for Jehovah to fit in them J
No one can overpower him.


4 comments:

  1. Me too :)

    Were you also reading Meja Mwangi during Chem Lessons?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now I know mbingu za mbingu hazimutoshi Yehova is the jw version of Ngai wakwa ni munene lol...Nice flow!!!

    ReplyDelete

5 ways to say, "My mother died. " For those currently or constantly grieving.

 On a random Thursday, when you get to work, you will find Clara distributing cupcakes at the coffee machine. Banana cupcakes, and you will ...