Thursday, October 3, 2019

Incomplete Guide to Cooking Food- Tomato Soup

My heart has been aching a lot lately. I've been pushed to a corner I have never ever ever been and I'm trying to accept it without going under.
I could go under.

But I haven't 
I have something that always brings me back.
Soup.
With Creed, Three Doors Down, Dashboard Confessional 
In the background telling me-

'I'm six feet from the edge
Can anyone see me down here
Just on more step I beg You please
Just one more breath I beg you please.'
One day this week I really almost went under. I was out all day with people and I really needed a moment to cry. I have become quite a cry baby lately. When I can't find a spot to howl I drink tea instead. 

So I walked into Hermes Dairy to have a cup. Hermes is our neighborhood grandfather. He specializes in milk, in its various stages of life.
We love Hermes. He tells us many stories , when his wife is not around. But let's not talk about that but let us point out one important truth:  He has a beautiful daughter who makes great brown chapati.


I found my friend had checked in some minutes earlier and just finishing his first chapati.

I told him It was nice to see him but I had had a long day and would like to sit quietly before I can face anymore humans.

He said pole, 'have a chapati too.'
I said "no I'm fine."
And he smiled and said 'no, just have a chapati.'

Because my friends know if I say no to a chapati there must be something wrong. And if a chapati won't fix it we might have to look for more measures.

I had my chapati, quietly. And I was fine by the time I was done.
 And so I explained how I been bullied this big guy who mixed all his English tenses and felt threatened when a young boy with a nice hair cut asked for clarification.
'All of you lowlifes sitting in the back come here , hakuna kitu mnaelewa!'
A low life. Seriously?
It was quite unprofessional.
But there is a certain stage in life you find yourself where you have to interact with people you would otherwise never have to deal with.

And he told me how his supervisor had refused to approve his work and how annoyed he was feeling.
And we both felt better. 
Food does that.
It covers for what words can't cover.

It started to rain but it didn't matter.
When the mud has left your heart, you can wade in mud all the way home and your step will be light like a happy girl in summer.
Let us talk about food now.

Your Shallow and Incomplete Guide to Cooking Food for People who live alone or with Cats and are Tired of Eating Ugali and Eggs every night.

I make a lot of soups. When my heart is in despair solid foods won't do. I need something that will get absorbed right away.

Today I will share 
my thick tomato soup recipe for days when your heart won't stop aching.

What you need:

3 Ripe Tomatoes 
2 Table spoonful of Tomato paste
One red hot chili pepper
2 cloves of garlic
Salt
1 teaspoonful sun flower oil (optional)

What to do:
Cut the tomatoes in half and drop then into two cups of boiling water
Let them boil until soft
Pound the garlic together with the chilli
Use the pestle to mash the tomatoes
Stir and scoop out the skins
Add salt
Add the tomato paste and stir
Add the sunflower oil
Stir in the garlic and chilli
Let it simmer for three minutes 
It should be ready.
I eat mine with bread or chips- check out the bread recipe from earlier this year.



Sent from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment

Going to buy a plot in Maaī Mahiū and Parallel Homesickness Books launch event in a glimpse

Thank you all.  Asanteni kwa kuja. Please get a copy of either books here : https://nuriakenya.com/product/going-to-buy-a-plot-in-maai-mahiu...