Monday, January 6, 2020

8-4-4 How it almost ruined our lived had we let it and the answers we discovered too late.



Kieni West Division, Mid-Term Test  G H C  

7 . Where in Kenya is Flourspar mined?

a. Jinja
b. Kereita
C. Magadi
d. Kerio Valley

First before we go to question eight. What is flourspar and how does it affect my life?
I imagined flourspar was a gas, or a chemical that is used in the production of hard plastic for factory machinery.

Until I googled - what is flourspar?-
Blazing hot gases! This is flourspar. See below.





I feel quite embarrassed that once,  Canadian friend gave me a necklace. She said 'actually this originally from Kenya, it's mined there.'

I didn't want to seem ignorant so I said "oh yeah, in Kisii there is all of sorts of gem mining."

But Education was not supposed to teach us knowledge. 

I grew up and we headed out on a frugal holiday to Eldoret.


'Road trippin with my favourite allies,
on the road we got snacks and supplies
Let's go get lost
Let's go get lost.'

And up a mountain we went.

I'm entranced by mist, fog and clouds.

And in Kerio Valley, it felt like we were in a Tibetian movie set.
As you drive, you sometimes drive into a fog, then get out of it a few meters ahead, then again you watch it scatter, then it gathers further ahead. 

Around some trees, in a valley, it dances and swirls and wraps you in its drizzle. Wisps of mist disperse like cheerful little girls.  It moves and soon the sun is shinning again, you are warm, but now you cannot view the fluospar mines.




'That's River Turkwel, the guard points out. It has huge Crocodiles. '
I wish he didn't add the crocodiles part as though that makes the river infamous.
It's river Turkwel, let's take a moment to appreciate a mighty force of pursing brown liquid. It's famous for flooding.

There are homes too, down the valley.


I wonder what their names are.

Do they have a chief?

'Past the river, everyone owns a rifle.'
The guide says.

I'm thinking of the Wild Wide West where everyone is a cowboy.

No horses here though.

Do they cook chapatti sometimes? 

Then it's back to the long uphill climb. Just how far down the Kerio Valley is is beyond my brain. We seemed to be looking down from the sky, but it was a downhill descent. Heck, I was lost and decided to enjoy the view.


So up we go. Flowers, springs, insects.




I'm shivering

We get home and I sleep out the evening.

Where is flourspar mined in Kenya?
The answer is D.

It would have really improved my life if I had done that trip in 1997.

1 comment:

Going to buy a plot in Maaī Mahiū and Parallel Homesickness Books launch event in a glimpse

Thank you all.  Asanteni kwa kuja. Please get a copy of either books here : https://nuriakenya.com/product/going-to-buy-a-plot-in-maai-mahiu...