Friday, January 3, 2020

Your Shallow and Incomplete Guide to cooking food for people who live alone or with cats and are tired of eating ugali and eggs every night.-Selfcare-

The two times I can talk about that I got into great mischief involves drinks.

Mild drinks.
Wewe Mimi si wamunyota.


One evening we were assigned to cook ugali for 12 people. They were waiting in the living room. Me and @ waiyaki were outside in the shed boiling water for the large ugali. It was drizzling.
We were cold
The water was taking long to boil but  suddenly we got an idea.
There was a satchet of drinking chocolate laying about.
So Waiyaki says.
'So that we don't raise any alarm, please go ask for an extra wooden spoon from the kitchen, then grab some sugar while you are there.'

I did as told and reassured everyone that the ugali would be ready in a short while.
So Waiyaki takes off the ugali water, pours it into a bucket leaving two cups in the sufuria. He added sugar and cocoa and when it boiled he poured the drink out into cups and I quickly washed the sufuria, put back the water to boiled and settled to drink the hot chocolate.

And it was exactly at that point that someone appeared to 'get the ugali. '
Haiya, hii ni maji ya ugali?
Haijachemka?
Mnakunywa nini?

And then to the people waiting for ugali.
' You will not believe it, these ones used the water for ugali to make tea.'

It was the best hot chocolate drink I have ever tasted.

The other time was during a hectic  time in the translation department. There were many people coming and going and me I was feeling stressed.

I find Maureen at the microwave and tell her, - I need something to drink but not tea. I've had enough of tea.-

'Hmm.'
She says
'Is there milk?'
I check and it looks like a brookside truck stopped by our fridge.

-There is plenty of milk.-
'Cool, come after five minutes.'
I went back and she says, 'taste this and tell men if you want sugar.'

It was coffee and Milo and milk,  microwaved until it smelt like the inside of Java coffee house.
I didn't need sugar.
-You have to show me how to make this.-
Says I
And we made a few cups for people.
The secret ingredient is lots of milk.

In the afternoon
Someone comes and asks " how come there is no milk?"
And Debbie says 'no way I brought a box of milk yesterday.'
They go to the fridge
No milk
'Cecilia?'
-Well, um we may have made a few cups of coffee this morning-
'How many?'
Four.
'Four! '
Yes four.
'Just four?'
-Yes, it's complicated. I'm sorry, black tea any one? I'll make-

I'm only confessing now, a public confession. It was too embarrassing then.

Here is the recipe: How to calm down.

You need a mug
Put in two table spoonful of Milo into the mug
Pour in milk to half full
Microwave it for two minutes
It will rise. Remove
Put it back again for 45 seconds
Remove
Put in a teaspoonful of dormans or nescafe instant coffee.
Fill the mug with milk and put it back in for a minute
You can transfer to another heated mug if you want to feel pretty.
Enjoy.
Caution: it's very calming. So you might fall asleep.

3 comments:

  1. Lol! I had no idea this got you into trouble... Well, a little mischief goes a long way for a great story

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you did, and oops, if you are still brewing mochas. haha

      Delete
    2. I just got you into trouble. Now they know where the milk goes.

      Delete

Going to buy a plot in Maaī Mahiū and Parallel Homesickness Books launch event in a glimpse

Thank you all.  Asanteni kwa kuja. Please get a copy of either books here : https://nuriakenya.com/product/going-to-buy-a-plot-in-maai-mahiu...